Volunteers are the life-blood of this organization. They make up nearly three-quarters of our entire staff, and are responsible for a number of elements that keep both the train and carousel running.
Here is what we are looking for, and the level of commitment that comes with this involvement.
Locomotive Engineers / up to 2 shifts a month.
- Locomotive engineers start with the diesel engine, and can work their way up to our steam engines through the BJWRR training process. Shifts range from 4 to 7 hours in a day, depending on the engineers preference. Engineers may be scheduled up to twice a month, based on their preference and availability.
- Maintenance/ Machine work shop. Tuesday Crew/ Various amount of hours
- Our Tuesday crew comes works on all the locomotive maintenance, as well as maintenance on the passenger cars, buildings, and all other miscellaneous maintenance.
- Track maintenance is always an ongoing project, and one that always needs extra hands.
- Not retired yet and can’t do Tuesdays? No worries, there is always maintenance work to take care at the railroad. Let us know your skills, and we will place you with the right project.
Barbecue / Special Event Cooks / 1 to 2 times a month.
- Our Snack Shack sells full barbecues Saturdays and Sundays from March to October. Shifts typically last up to 5 hours, and can be once to twice a month depending on the volunteer.
- Special Event Cooks. Pancake breakfast and Pasta Dinner always require extra sets of hands. Help us by cooking up pancakes, sausage, or pasta!
Don’t have these skill sets? No worries! There are many ways to get involved at the railroad. It is a great way to be involved in the community, as well as be part of a historical landmark.
Persons interested should call 408-395-7433 x4 or email us through the contact form.